in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

ARC Review: Clutch by Drew Elyse


This book did that thing where some books draw you in at first and then punch you in the face and kick you down the stairs in the second half. The first half (or so) of this book is a 4 star read. I was intrigued and happy I picked this one up. But then, the second half of the book rolls around and I was just like what the hell is this? I would only give the second half of the book about 2 stars. Between 2 and 4 is 3 so that's why I'm giving this a 3 star rating. If you read the whole book and walk away feeling like 'well that sucked' don't get mad at my rating because I'm telling you in advance why I'm giving this that rating.

Cami was born into the Savage Disciples MC. This is my first book about the club but it follows pretty closely the MC romance line. This is one of those MC clubs that has decided to go straight or whatever. That's not really my favorite thing but I get it. In any event, Cami left the MC fold to go out and make something of herself as a legit citizen. She is engaged to some straight arrow guy and has basically given up everything just so she can claim to be an upstanding member of society. Cami is a member of the country club wives society even though she is not yet married to her country club man. And did I mention that to survive the fake Stepford life she is living, Cami is a coke head who is staying high just to get by.

The thing I didn't really get about Cami is the why. Cami knew her fiance was cheating on her, she wasn't even sleeping with him. Cami was aware that her life sucked and aware that she was in for even more suck after she got married. So I had a difficult time understanding why Cami just sat back and watched her life be a crap show. And then Gauge comes waltzes into her fake perfect life and shakes the crap all up. Gauge is everything her blue blood fiance is not and Cami wants him, bad, right away. Gauge sees through Cami's excuses about being happy and challenges her to finally change her life. Cami, because of Gauge, finally breaks free and returns home. And from this point on, the book stops being a four star book and starts going in a totally different direction.

Cami gets annoying. She is so insistent that she will never be under anyone's control again that she makes stupid choices which put her in danger. Gauge is supposed to be a tough alpha but then he starts sort of acting like Cami is the one running things. And then Gauge has a .....situation which turns into a total hot mess that hunts the end of the book. I just, nothing about the second half of the book appealed to me. The book is well written, no problems there. Just after the 53% or so, I didn't want to read about these characters anymore.

**ARC provided by Ardent PRose**

Purchase: | Amazon |


0 comments :

Post a Comment