in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, January 21, 2017

ARC Review: The Rule Maker by Jennifer Blackwood


I really enjoyed the first book in the Rule Breakers series by Jennifer Blackwood and I was looking forward to reading the next in the series, The Rule Maker. Each book is a standalone story that is easily read on its own. While I did enjoy this one at times, I liked The Rule Book better than The Rule Maker. This story was a light and easy read, if a bit predictable. 

Zoey is thrilled to get another project doing work for Jason Covington. But when she finds out that instead of working with Jason directly she will be working with his brother Ryder, she is anything but thrilled. Zoey and Ryder had a one night stand, with him leaving the next day without so much as a backwards glance. But after a horrible snowboarding accident, he has agreed to help his brother out. While things don't start of the best, Zoey and Ryder quickly find themselves drawn to each other once again. 

I have to say that part of what kept me from really loving this book was Zoey and Ryder. Both had moments of immaturity that had me questioning their ages. They would do, say or think childish things and that had me struggling here. Maybe this is an age thing myself, but the older I get the less tolerance I have for it. These characters are out of college and should be acting as adults, and yet at times they didn't appear that way at all. I felt like Zoey was too hung up on her rules at times, and having read the first book she seemed a bit too like Lainey. I also wish things had been different in regard to their one night stand. That kind of soured me on the relationship from the start, especially since some is left unclear and Ryder's intentions make it hard to get behind him as a hero. These two had obvious chemistry and a growing connection, but I just found it hard to relate to them or feel fully invested with everything we were given.

I think that this one was a good read, but it wasn't one that I would remember long term. Zoey and Ryder had chemistry, but I felt like their relationship took quite a bit of time to happen and started on a sour note with the way Ryder never intended to see her again. He knew her and the type of girl she was, and he had never planned on pursuing her at all. By the time he came around I wasn't fully able to believe it and then things were wrapped up a bit to easy and cheesy for me. While I appreciate a sweet ending, this one was a bit too much for me. I think that a lot of readers will really enjoy this one, but for me it was just okay and wasn't my favorite of what I have read from Jennifer Blackwood.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment